Teeth cleaning is one of the most versatile methods of maintaining good oral hygiene. While each dental clinic may perform teeth cleaning sessions differently, there are a few teeth cleaning procedures that are common across all clinics. Procedures like teeth screening, the actual teeth cleaning process (polishing, scaling, and flossing), and fluoride treatments are all very common.
Our dental team at Soft Touch Dental are experts in providing routine dental cleaning procedures through professional teeth cleanings in Florissant, MO. Learn more about dental cleaning, its benefits beyond oral health, and some post-dental maintenance tips.
What is Dental Cleaning?
Dental cleaning refers to a series of procedures that are done to maintain good oral hygiene. It is a proactive, preventive measure that helps protect against cavities, gum disease, and other dental problems. Typically, this involves the removal of plaque and tartar from teeth and gums, which are the two main culprits behind dental problems.
With regular cleaning, good and healthy oral hygiene can be maintained, giving individuals the confidence they need to smile and laugh without being self-conscious about their appearance.
Benefits of Teeth Cleaning Beyond Oral Health
Oral health is important, but not only for the obvious reasons of maintaining a healthy mouth, teeth, and gums. There are benefits of teeth cleaning that go way beyond the surface of the mouth. These extend to important aspects of overall health, such as immunity, heart health, and diabetes. Teeth cleaning:
- Lowers the risk of heart disease: By keeping the gums healthy, the risk of heart disease is significantly reduced. Oral bacteria can travel through the bloodstream and affect the heart valves, causing infective endocarditis. Regular teeth cleaning can help prevent this type of heart disease.
- Controls diabetes: People with diabetes are more prone to gum disease, and it can be harder for them to fight off infections. By keeping the mouth healthy through routine dental cleaning, the body can better fight off oral bacteria that can worsen diabetes. This is an important benefit for the millions of people who suffer from this disease.
- Boosts the immune system: Bacteria that cause gum disease can weaken the immune system, making it harder for the body to fight off infections. By keeping the oral environment clean, the immune system is better able to function properly, helping to fight off illness and disease.
Who Should Get Dental Cleaning Done?
Dental cleaning is vital for maintaining optimal oral health. Its frequency should be determined by one’s dental history, age, and lifestyle.
- Children should get dental cleanings done regularly to ensure they have a strong foundation for their teeth as they grow. They are more susceptible to cavities and gum disease due to their love for sugary foods and lack of diligent brushing. Regular cleanings will help remove any plaque that may be building up in their mouth, keeping their teeth healthy.
- Individuals with braces should also get dental cleanings more often. When braces are fitted, it becomes harder for people to brush and floss properly. As a result, food particles can get trapped and cause plaque to build up, increasing the risk of gum disease and cavities.
- Patients with chronic illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, and HIV should also get dental cleanings frequently. These diseases make individuals more prone to gum disease, so it’s critical to maintain oral health by getting regular cleanings.
You can visit our dentists in Florissant and St. Louis County, Dr. Christopher Weber and Dr. Azaryas Mandefro, for your routine dental cleaning.
Signs That You May Need Dental Cleaning
In addition to brushing and flossing regularly, it is important to get regular dental cleanings. Here are a few signs that indicate that you may need a dental cleaning.
- Bad breath
- Presence of tartar or calculus build-up
- Red, swollen, or bleeding gums
- Sensitivity or pain in teeth
- Discoloration or staining on teeth
Post-Dental Cleaning Maintenance Tips
Everyone wants a healthy and shiny smile, and regular dental cleaning is an important part of achieving that. Here are some things you can do after leaving the dentist’s office to maintain your healthy smile.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste to prevent the accumulation of tartar
- Floss at least once a day to remove food particles and plaque from hard-to-reach areas between your teeth
- Keep your mouth hydrated
- Use a tongue scraper or brush to remove any bacteria or debris from your tongue. This can also improve your taste sensation and overall oral hygiene.
Book a Dental Cleaning Appointment in Florissant and St. Louis County
It is crucial to get your teeth cleaned regularly to maintain good oral hygiene. A dental cleaning appointment with an excellent dental provider ensures that your teeth and gums stay healthy and free from any dental problems.
At Soft Touch Dental, we offer teeth cleaning in Florissant and St. Louis County, MO. We understand what it means to have good oral health, and we are ready to provide you and your family with the best dental experience ever! Book an appointment with our dental team and we’ll make improving your smile and taking care of your oral health our top priority.
Contact us to achieve optimal oral health and maintain that confident smile.