Everyone wants to have a face that radiates a beautiful and charming smile, and you are probably not an exception. Every part of your face constitutes your beautiful smile, but the teeth play a super role in making the smile a perfect one.
The teeth are the most noticeable part of your face during a smile. This is why you need to make your teeth very attractive and healthy. Luckily, a perfect way to make your teeth stunning is to make them white and sparkling.
Are your teeth white enough to compliment your smile? Are you afraid your smile might not be top-notch because your teeth aren’t white? Let’s check out simple ways to whiten your teeth.
What Is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a simple process of lightening or whitening the color of the teeth. It is also popularly referred to as teeth bleaching. Teeth whitening is done when the teeth become yellow. It is achieved by changing the extrinsic and intrinsic colors of the enamel.
There are several approaches to teeth whitening. One of the popular processes of teeth whitening is light teeth whitening. This process requires light to activate the whitening of the teeth. There are several ways you can whiten your teeth, but the help of a professional dentist is most advised.
The teeth can acquire a yellow color due to numerous reasons. As the saying goes, to find a cure to something, you need to first find the cause. Let’s have a quick look at the causes of yellow teeth.
Why Are My Teeth Yellow?
There are several reasons why your teeth are yellow. If you want to maintain clean teeth, you might need to abstain from these things. Here are some reasons why your teeth are yellow.
- Poor hygiene: One of the most common causes of yellow teeth is poor hygiene. You need to take care of your oral health to maintain or acquire white teeth. People who do not brush regularly or use floss and mouthwash can develop yellow teeth.
- Foods: Some foods are high in tannins. Consuming these foods can cause your teeth to acquire a yellow stain color. Some substances that contain high tannin levels include soft drinks, red wine, coffee, tomato-based sauces, and many more. Apple cider vinegar and other substances that contain citric acid can also be a cause of teeth discoloration.
- Fluoride: Although fluoride is good for the teeth, its excessive use can be a good cause of the yellow discoloration of the teeth. Excess fluoride can cause brownish or yellowish spots on the enamel. You should control how you take a substance like fluoride toothpaste, fluoridated water, fluoride tablets, etc. You should visit your dentist if you consume these substances.
- Smoking: Aside from the effect smoking has on the lungs, it also has a devastating effect on the teeth. About 28% of smokers have teeth discoloration compared to 15% of non-smokers. Smoking and teeth stains work hand-in-hand, which is why most smokers have discolored teeth.
- Medication: Using medications also has its side effects on the color of your teeth. Certain drugs like antibiotics can affect the white color of your teeth. Several other medications can cause your teeth to turn yellow.
There are several other causes of teeth yellowing. You should abstain from these causes to enjoy the good of white teeth.
How to Whiten Your Teeth
Teeth whitening might not be as overwhelming as you think. There are simple processes that can have a bleaching effect on your teeth. Here are simple but effective ways to carry out excellent teeth whitening.
Brush with Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are substances that have a tooth whitening effect. They are very effective in removing surface stains from tooth enamel. Brushing with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide can help you whiten your teeth.
The baking soda acts like a mild abrasive that helps remove stains on the tooth enamel. It also has an alkaline property that prevents the growth of bacteria. Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent bleaching agent and can kill bacteria in the mouth.
Oil pulling is a traditional strategy for maintaining and improving excellent oral health and hygiene. It requires you to swish oil from one side of your mouth to the other. This process removes bacteria that can cause plaque and yellow coloring of teeth from the mouth.
You can use any type of oil, but sesame oil or sunflower oil can be the best. Apart from sesame oil, coconut oil is also a popular alternative.
Brushing and Flossing
Brushing your teeth and flossing can have an excellent whitening effect on your teeth. You should not underestimate the power of good oral health and hygiene. You can be surprised how well brushing and flossing can remove stains from your teeth.
Regular flossing and brushing teeth with whitening toothpaste can make your teeth bright again. You can also use whitening products to remove the yellow discoloration on your tooth enamel.
If you do not get your desired result from these simple methods, you can opt for more advanced ones. You only have to keep in mind the side effects of the teeth whitening process you choose.
You should visit Soft Touch Dental to learn more about teeth whitening in Florissant. You can also schedule an appointment and let our dental team help you get rid of the yellow coloring on your teeth. Get your perfect smile with our dental experts.